Streaming with VLC

Here you can report any bugs/problems you encounter

Streaming with VLC

Postby Frozen » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:26 pm

Hello,

I want to say that streaming to VLC work very smooth, but what about stream full TS?
I try to do that, but VLC give black screen when stream the whole TS then hung up, so my question, is it smartdvb issue or VLC?
If I stream full ts mean that I can change channels from vlc on same transponder?

thanks
Frozen

Re: Streaming with VLC

Postby SmartDVB » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:32 pm

hi,

Entire transport stream receive should operate with VLC. You should even be able to select the name of the station you'd like to see with VLC menu 'playback > program', i just looked at this seems to operate.
You might need other version of vlc i remember some older versions did have some issues with this (i have here vlc 2.0.5 which operates for this). Let me know if it works out for u.

br,
jj
SmartDVB
Site Admin

Postby Frozen » Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:36 pm

Okay, I got 2.0.6 version, I can select channels, but without audio and pixelated video as shown in picture. To be honest i think it's vlc thing, but maybe you can help.

Also I use "192.168.1.255" in smartdvb and "udp://@:8888" in vlc, otherwise i can't receive.

Thanks
Frozen

Postby Frozen » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:11 pm

It's okay after increasing buffer
Frozen

Postby SmartDVB » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:17 pm

not sure, r u able to run .ts files without issues with VLC (normal media files?).
otherwise seems odd you need the ip 192.168.1.255 address like u mention, you should be able to stream to the ip without the 255 addition.
But since u seem to see picture might be other, like network bandwith issue, if not VLC issue.
You could also try multicast (enable 'multicast' checkbox at multicast dialog), then enter ip address like 224.6.7.8 and at VLC network stream like : udp://@224.6.7.8:8888, this might need less throughput so see if that might operate better for you..
br
edit: busy with this message while you replied, did you alter previously defined default buffer size before (from install?)?
SmartDVB
Site Admin

Postby Frozen » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:28 pm

About streaming to certain ip client like 192.168.1.x, it's possible. Anyway don't bother maybe I explained badly as I'm not experience in such things.
Multicast change nothing, I still need to increase the buffer, and it's okay.

The default buffer is 200 and I don't alter it before, so I increased it to 500 and it's fine.

But can I ask how udp packet may change the streaming process or what effect it have? As i said I'm fishy ! :roll:
And can I handle different scrambled channels?
Frozen

Postby SmartDVB » Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:22 pm

udp could loose packets so in that sense it could affect the stream process, the protocol at itself is prone to packet loss, not really intended for streams but ok for local networks i suppose, other methods exist which would be less likely to break the stream or have loss. Multicast actually would be better if you intend to send to multiple pc's (i thought you were attemting to do that with the .255, which previously would try to broadcast which is very inefficient), so multicast would only be interesting if you were trying to receive the stream at multiple pc's with VLC with stream trouble/breakup.
If you try to view other scrambled stations compared to the current one, no does not operate, been queried before this does not work now due to the mdapi plugin structure, not much could be done about this atm..
SmartDVB
Site Admin

Postby Frozen » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:10 pm

Got the difference between unicast and multicast, but not sure about udp packet :mrgreen:
Anyone now it's all clear, but I have a suggestion, is it possible to add monitor show statistics of clients?
Frozen

Postby SmartDVB » Wed May 01, 2013 2:23 pm

what kind of client statistics? With udp not much's possible, it's a 1 side protocol, so it just sends vlc receives doesn't send something back to monitor, not really much possible. At future if i were to add some other protocols this could be better ofcourse.
SmartDVB
Site Admin

Return to Bug Reports