C & Ku from same Satellite settings

Here you can find tips on how to configure/accomplish things

Moderator: poutnikl

C & Ku from same Satellite settings

Postby chadg2 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:55 am

How do you set up (2) LNB's on (1) Satellite position? I can set the freq to either 5150 or 10750, but can't find a way to enter LNB freq. for multi Lnb's on same Sat.
Thanks.
I'm using SmartDVB 0.3.0 with Prof 7301 card.
chadg2

Re: C & Ku from same Satellite settings

Postby SmartDVB » Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:26 pm

there´s a quite tedious method to do that atm. Add a new sat to allsats.txt (settings folder). eg '0131, 13.1E, new sat name', where 0131 would be a non existing satellite .ini.
Then simply create the corresponding .ini at the 'transponders' folder, here that would be 0131.ini where you place the frequencies with the format like other INI files. This quite tedious procedure might be integrated better at future versions. You should be able to select/configure the added sat with different lnb.
SmartDVB
Site Admin

Postby sickboy » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:13 am

Hi was this method ever upgraded or is it still the only way to do this ?
sickboy

Postby SmartDVB » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:40 pm

Goodday,

Yes a more simple method now would be to go to your satellite setting (main menu > add/edit frequencies, double click on sat) and adding another LNB. Here you can add a secondary C-BAND LNB for the same sat, make sure you check the 'auto select LNB' option and enter the C-BAND frequency range, the app should then automatically select the C-BAND LNB when a frequency in that range is used.

best regards
SmartDVB
Site Admin

Postby sickboy » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:45 pm

Yes I saw that and was wondering if it was new since this discussion took place.

I tried to make it work but ran into a problem. I think the controls are not sufficiently granular to control two separate dedicated motorized dishes (10foot and 90cm). Further one is controled through Diseqc 1.2 the other Usals.

Looks like the controls need a little tweaking to cover that scenario.
sickboy

Postby SmartDVB » Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:35 pm

Ok, those sat settings are more meant for selecting a different LNB (mostly probably C-BAND) on the same sat/positioner etc. You'll have to use the manual procedure mentioned above. Add a sat entry to allsats.txt and the appropriate ini for the second positioner. It would not be that much work to integrate adding a new sat to the frequencies dialog, this has been asked before, you think this would be worthwhile for new users perhaps (and perhaps add a help file section related to this)? Also, you would probably need to do this for each sat you want to use on your secondary positioner.

I presume you're also using a switch to select the positioner?

Best regards
SmartDVB
Site Admin

Postby sickboy » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:00 am

Yes I am using a 22khz tone switch to select C/Ku and a diseqc switch to select from two different lnb's at the Ku dish.

I think it would be helpful for new users but I have a suggestion though it would probably require more of a rewrite on your part.

Are you familiar at all with the way this is done in Enigma 2 ? Each lnb is defined once (I think in E2 you can define up to 64) including all settings regarding switches in the path to reach the lnb. If you think about it these settings are global and will not change throughout the entire arc. So for any given sat position you choose from one of your predefined lnb's and set the Diseqc 1.2 position number. If it's a Usals motor your driving then it will have been defined already for that lnb.

There are many per-lnb tweaks also which are unnecessary for most users so what I've indicated here is the simple version :) Simple yet brilliant really.

In my setup I have a C band and two Ku lnb's, one linear and the other circular so I would define three lnb's and choose one or more per sat position.

Food for thought.
sickboy

Postby SmartDVB » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:13 pm

Good day,

Current LNB/SAT settings is a bit legacy, and the current multiple LNB setup was more a quick hack to allow c band LNB's mostly. For sure a rewrite would be appropriate here, thank you for the extensive explanation on how this is done on enigma (i have no hands on experience with enigma although in have heard a lot about it). My last sat box before i started this app was a humax :).

Such a rewrite would not be trivial and would break existing sat/lnb configs due to db changes required, not sure if some auto conversion would be possible. But for sure this is something that should be done in some future update, and of reasonable high priority to me as this has been requested and mentioned quite some times in the past.

Best regards
SmartDVB
Site Admin

Return to Howto's