Best pci or pci-e card for SmartDVB?

General support questions (e.g. question about device support problems or general application features/workings).

Best pci or pci-e card for SmartDVB?

Postby bid0n » Sun Jan 01, 2017 8:27 pm

Hi all and Seasons Greetings!

As a new year resolution i've decided to upgrade my material. I have a 10 year old S2-3200 PCI card. I'd like to upgrade it, is there anything better these days? To use with SmartDVB?
Affordable? :mrgreen:
Will it be ok for 4K?

Thanks y'all! :D
bid0n

Re: Best pci or pci-e card for SmartDVB?

Postby SmartDVB » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:47 am

Depends on your requirements, technotrend 3200 had ci, you still require this? If so i'd go for a TBS device which supports ci since current ci implentation is limited to some device types including tbs. For HEVC nothing special is required, just 8psk modulation should suffice. Does it have to be pci? USB devices work well enough for 8psk including HEVC, the old prof7500 for example is well supported since i owned one and affordable if you still can find one. For more modulations/features devices like tbs 6903 or tbs 5925/5927 (usb) are ok but less affordable. Speed wise i remember the 3200 was very quick so you might be dissapointed if your tt3200 worked satisfactory.
I'm sure other users can chime in with other suggestions from devices they own and use.

Btw: Your nick sounds very familiar
SmartDVB
Site Admin

Postby bid0n » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:48 pm

No, I don't require CI.

Is HEVC what's used for 4K? That's weird cause i can't seem to watch any of the 4K / UHD demo channels. I thought it required new material like when dvb-S2 was implemented. Sorry for being ignorant, I haven't followed any of the latest developments technology-wise since a few years ago.

I have the Prof 7500 usb. If there's nothing better than the S2-3200 then no point in changing... I'll just get a new motherboard (µatx) with at least 1 PCI port.

I don't find any of the mentioned above cards I have satisfactory. I have freezes using SmartDVB that make me have to reboot my PC. I thought it was a driver / hardware issue.

If I sound familiar maybe it's because we swapped emails long ago when SmartDVB was taking its first baby steps :mrgreen: but I dont recall exactly.

Thx for your help! Much appreciated. :D
bid0n

Postby SmartDVB » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:30 am

Ok lets see if others have suggestions, i have a tbs5925 usb here, there are newer versions of these. Not the fastest but does support various modulations, quite stable useful for blindscanning and dx etc and i find usb devices quite handy myself for laptop usage etc.

You have those freeze problems with the current 0.5.0 builds? With what OS? Are they channel switch related or elsewhere in the app, can you pinpoint them in general? Any consistency when this happens or with which device. What are your codec and directshow settings?

Your nick for sure rang a bell, but also can't remember when must've been a long time ago indeed good to see you back

br,
jj
SmartDVB
Site Admin

Postby bid0n » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:23 pm

Thx for your support :D

I'll have a look at all of that and come back to you later. It might take me more than a week to try and find out a pattern. I just changed computer so I haven't installed my prof usb yet, haven't watched a lot of sat tv recently. Can you please remind me what's the suggested device used for this tuner on SmartDVB? Florian or the other? And for the 3200? Thx!

I checked, our email conversations go back to 2011. :)
bid0n

Postby SmartDVB » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:01 pm

No problem,

So that would probably not have been with the current versions especially concerning tuning the current 0.5.0 might be more stable compared to pre 0.4.0 versions, can't vouch for some other parts of the app though this is still a WIP, such apps are never really ready of course, tech around it always changes and new stuff arises.

Still not as long back as i thought had been busy with those tiny steps since about 2006

Br
jj
SmartDVB
Site Admin

Postby bid0n » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:19 pm

Gotcha. i'll let ya know.

What are the best settings for both the prof-7500 tuner and the S2-3200 though if i may ask again? Florian or BDA device?
bid0n

Postby SmartDVB » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:33 am

Hi

For sure bda.dev, i'll probably remove bdas.dev from the installation, since it seems confusing to many.

As for default settings, directshow as is per install.

jj
SmartDVB
Site Admin

Postby bid0n » Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:00 pm

So, my cards have been working ok so far, I think they only froze once meaning I had to restart the computer :)

I'm now thinking of upgrading my hardware to Kaby Lake :)

Would you recommend windows 7, 8 or 10 for using SmartDVB with my cards? TT S2-300 and Prof 7500 USB? I'm now running 7 x64 but I'm considering upgrading.
bid0n

Postby SmartDVB » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:14 pm

Hi

The app should work on all those operating systems you mention. Speed wise i'd prefer w7 or w10, but this is a matter of taste. MS DTV on clean installs of w7+, might not be able to connect by default for MPEG/dvd play (this is not an sdvb problem btw) , but if you install the lav flters and make sure they're selected (tools >settings > directshow > connection) after initial install you should be ok. Also make sure EVR is selected there as renderer as the current install defaults to VMR9 for best performance, especially H.265.

I've heard of kaby lake, interesting indeed. What kind of system are you intending to buy?

br,
jj
SmartDVB
Site Admin

Postby bid0n » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:33 pm

Why don't you mention win 8?

So, what I'm thinking of getting:

4x4GB Crucial DDR4 2400 - 85€ on amazon

GA-B250M-D3H with the new B250 chipset, one of the only µatx mobos to have 4 ram slots AND 2 pci ports - I'm actually thinking of getting a 2nd TT-S2 3200 from Dvbshop.net so I don't have the prof usb on my desktop (it has a bulky PSU).

CPU: undecided between the Pentium G4560 (cheap!!!) and the i3-7100.

I already have a Noctua cooler, a recent 240GB SSD, a Seasonic fanless PSU, and plenty of quiet 12cm fans. And I'm thinking of getting an Antec P50 case. This will be my desktop computer for everyday use and also for watching sat tv. I don't play games. This should be future proof for a while and as quiet as possible.

The main problem is that my screen, a DELL 3007WFP only does DVI-D Dual Link 2560 x 1600 @ 60Hz, but the motherboard doesn't do Dual-Link and apparently from what I've been reading the screen will not take a passive DVI / DisplayPort or DVI / HDMI cable. Motherboard has all 4 outputs (including useless VGA). HDMI is 1.4 and DisplayPort 1.2. Kaby Lake can output UHD @ 60 fps via DisplayPort and @ 30 fps via HDMI 1.4.

So I'm looking around for a screen upgrade too, would be nice to upgrade to 4K UHD, that was the project at long term but now I might have to rush things. But there aren't a lot of options around :(
bid0n

Postby SmartDVB » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:01 am

Hi

No reason about w8, the app should work fine on it and i did mention it implicitly didn't i?

Nice system specs, one of the charms of getting a new system is making these choices i guess. I just don't have the money to be a somewhat early adopter and spend top dollar, comparativly, on a kaby lake (sadly due to some personal circumstances otherwise i most probably would've) . I wondered for some time already why noone made very cheap hevc hw gpu's for a couple of dollars, i have no need for gaming power, perhaps the market is just not diverse enough in this regard for the big boys? But when i see what's possible on the video decoding side with android hardware for a fraction of the price i can't help feeling were the ones being ripped off here not the other way around if you understand what i mean. (i have qualcomm very cheap mobile phone who plays hevc, albeit 8 bit, just fine and much better than my older desktop i5 i have for development, and has so for quite some time. And cheap 10 bit android decoding hardware ain't hard to find either. So i just wonder if there's just too much monopoly here somewhere, especially if you're not even allowed to use the expensive hardware you buy to it's full caoabilities due to builtin restrictions).

Br
JJ
SmartDVB
Site Admin

Postby bid0n » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:27 pm

Actually, I wanted to buy skylake material, either DDR3 or DDR4 and an i3-6100, but it turns out the newly released kaby lake hardware is barely more expensive, at least for the same options I need: at least 1 pci port (ideally 2) and 4K output. And 4 ram slots (4x4GB is cheaper than 2x8GB). And it's more future proof! I usually keep my hardware for many years... until 2 months ago I was using my pentium E2200 from 2008 with 4GB ram, passive CPU cooler and GPU, and winXP :lol: My faithful desktop box more than capable of running 2 smartdvbs at same time and fullHD and doing other tasks (browsing, etc)

This new hardware is 4K ready, all I need is a 4K display.

By the way, do you know if it's possible to run two TT S2-3200 cards in the same computer? That way I could remove my prof tuner from my desktop.

Anyway, always a pleasure to talk to you. :D
bid0n

Postby SmartDVB » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:00 am

hi,

never hurts to complain, i've learned from the masters, and of course these kaby lake's sure seem like nice play things, so rest assured behind my remarks hides a little bit of envy :)

I also read now would be the time for some nice pricedrops and skylake bargains in the upcoming time. I bought this very nice i5 3470s some years ago, quite energy efficient and still quite pleased with it besides it's incapability to decode hevc it's pretty swift paired with an ssd, it was quite a bargain also those systems are almost being sold for the same price now 2-3 years onwards, but if someone out there wants to sponsor me for better hevc support/testing please feel free, the only sponsoring i'll ever get from these dutch is a ticket to jail lol (rest assured no pun intended)

I'm not totally sure two tt s2 3200 devices would work well, depends on the drivers, have heard of other devices having problems there (prof 7500 for example), but can't recall anyone ever reporting using two 3200. But i would suspect it would work, if i remember correctly it's a German based product and these tend to be quite solid software wise. (edit also since i have used t tt3200 in the past i know these drivers were quite stable in a single card usage scenario, unlike other driver manufacturers sometimes)

br
jj
btw sent you a pm..
SmartDVB
Site Admin

Return to Support