Some things I noticed and, finally, I'm reporting them

General support questions (e.g. question about device support problems or general application features/workings).

Some things I noticed and, finally, I'm reporting them

Postby YagiBear » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:15 pm

Here's a short list of things that are bugging me. Just minor annoyances, but I hope will be sorted out:
1. PIP windows does not snap to the main window. not even when it's set to floating windows. PIP windows does snap to each other, but I think the gap between them is a bit large.
2. For some reason I don't understand the video's aspect ratio is 4:3 by default where it should be 16:9. Not your fault, obviously. So I tried to force 16:9 in settings->General: Set AR from source is checked and also Auto adapt 4/3 AR set to 16:9. However, this doesn't affect the PIP windows, which always defaults to 4:3. Also, after, manually setting a PIP windows to 16:9 and using the right-click option to Swap with main it resets the AR settings back to 4:3 and I need to set it manually to 16:9 again.
If I remember correctly, this worked fine 2 versions ago.
3. The Stay on top option is checked but isn't always respected for PIP windows.

Edit:
4. The scroll wheel volume control changes the volume in steps of 4. However, the keyboard shortcuts (I use up/down arrows, the default is probably different) changes the volume in steps of 5.

Keep up the good work!
Last edited by YagiBear on Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SmartDVB v0.5.1.38 / Windows 10 Pro version 1803
Intel i5 3470 / 8G DDR3 / GeForce GTX660 / Mini USB DVB-T IT9135 BDA Filter (bda.dev)
Israel.Central (6 TV/12 Radio), H.264 & AAC/LATM ; MS DTV-DVD (EVR & default DirectSound) / DirectX 12
YagiBear

Re: Some things I noticed and, finally, I'm reporting them

Postby SmartDVB » Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:49 am

Thanks!

About your remarks.

1) noted, PIP snapping to the actual main window has simply not been looked at (can't remember it being requested either). I think the biggest use case for PIP snapping would be arranging PIP windows in a neat, watchable order.

2) I'll check this AR issue you mention, can't think of a reason why this would be different or broken but side effects are always there.

3) can you be more specific regarding this, in what situations exactly does it not seem to work as you would like. Quite a while ago i worked on the PIP code so might be there were some exceptions here and there with the stay on top PIP code (for example full screen usage might behave different here in some situations but i'll have to check).

Thanks i'll send some test builds your way if you want to see your issues are different with current builds.
SmartDVB
Site Admin

Postby YagiBear » Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:11 pm

SmartDVB wrote:Thanks!

About your remarks.

1) noted, PIP snapping to the actual main window has simply not been looked at (can't remember it being requested either). I think the biggest use case for PIP snapping would be arranging PIP windows in a neat, watchable order.

Oh, I forgot to mention that there are large (imho) gapes left when snapping, for example when snapping to the right, left and bottom edges of the screen.

SmartDVB wrote:2) I'll check this AR issue you mention, can't think of a reason why this would be different or broken but side effects are always there.

Thank you!

SmartDVB wrote:3) can you be more specific regarding this, in what situations exactly does it not seem to work as you would like. Quite a while ago i worked on the PIP code so might be there were some exceptions here and there with the stay on top PIP code (for example full screen usage might behave different here in some situations but i'll have to check).

If you:
1. Start SmartDVB. Now it's showing the main window.
2. Open PIP to show an additional channel. right click and make sure Stay on top is checked.
3. Switch the main window to Floating Window.
4. Switch the floating window to full screen.
5. Click on the full screen.
When I do that, the PIP windows doesn't stay on top. If you skip stage 3 it works fine.
Intel i5 3470 / 8G DDR3 / GeForce GTX660 / Mini USB DVB-T IT9135 BDA Filter (bda.dev)
Israel.Central (6 TV/12 Radio), H.264 & AAC/LATM ; MS DTV-DVD (EVR & default DirectSound) / DirectX 12
YagiBear

Postby SmartDVB » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:17 pm

Oh, I forgot to mention that there are large (imho) gapes left when snapping, for example when snapping to the right, left and bottom edges of the screen.

ok, i don't seem to see such gapings as you describe (w7 test system here), otherwise i for sure would have noticed such large gapes. What os (and perhaps also what graphical settings) do you see this with?

If you:
1. Start SmartDVB. Now it's showing the main window.
2. Open PIP to show an additional channel. right click and make sure Stay on top is checked.
3. Switch the main window to Floating Window.
4. Switch the floating window to full screen.
5. Click on the full screen.
When I do that, the PIP windows doesn't stay on top. If you skip stage 3 it works fine.

i see, thanks, i have the same behavior so indeed must be some quirk there with the PIP stay on TOP which has been there all along probably.

good to see you're still going with this too btw.
jj
SmartDVB
Site Admin

Postby YagiBear » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:17 pm

I'm using Win 10, the details in the signature are up to date.
My resolution settings are 1680x1050 - my screen's native resolution.

Here's a screenshot. I placed red circles where snapping took place. Snapping to the top of the screen is fine (although I'd rather the top window frame would be slimmer). Elsewhere, not so much, imho.
I'll PM you the link to the full image, if you need to take more accurate measurements.

btw, you can get a Windows 10 Virtual Machine if you'd like to try it out or need one for development purposes straight from MS: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/w ... l-machines

YagiBear

Postby SmartDVB » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:38 pm

thanks once more. Some reading seems to indicate those w10 gaps might be from invisible, transparent borders? (8 pixels where i actual pix is shown?). You could see if things change by changing the windows theme i've read (high contract theme?), to see if the snapping behaves different then. Thanks for the tip about w10 vm testing iso's. When i have some time i'll check this out for sure.

best regards..
SmartDVB
Site Admin

Postby YagiBear » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:40 pm

Yeah, high contrast theme fixed those snapping gaps but it is u-g-l-y.
YagiBear

Postby SmartDVB » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:38 pm

just for verification, i'm not sure if the issue can be solved then as the borders seem to be there just partly invisbile, i'll have a look anyhow...
SmartDVB
Site Admin

Postby YagiBear » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:05 pm

I added one more little oddity that slipped my mind to the original post.
YagiBear

Postby YagiBear » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:16 pm

Were any/some of the stuff I reported here addressed in the new beta?
thank you!
YagiBear

Postby SmartDVB » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:22 pm

some did some didn't as the beta version had to be finalized. About the W10 enormous border gaping, i could send you a test .exe regarding this.
regards and np..
SmartDVB
Site Admin

Return to Support