Trouble with streaming to other devices.

General support questions (e.g. question about device support problems or general application features/workings).

Trouble with streaming to other devices.

Postby slavprad » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:39 pm

Hello there,

Due to some stability issues with the software I use in my media centre for my dvb-s2 card I decided to give SmartDVB a try. The software is pretty good and the UI is very easy to navigate through.

However I've hit a wall while trying to configure it to stream the channels from my media center to other devices on my network. I've followed everything that is suggested in other threads and as last resort I even changed the port to the other software's port, because that one is definitely open. No luck.

On my media center I can open channels locally with whatever media player I throw at it, however, on other devices in my network, either they are connected to the router by ethernet or wifi, computers running windows or devices running android nothing can open the channels. This is weird since the other software works fine if a little bit choppy sometimes.

So, as I said, I hit a wall. I have no idea what else to do. I've noticed that in smartdvb.log file, when I try to open http://x.x.x.x:XXXX/server?command=fav.m3u, http://x.x.x.x:XXXX/server?command=main.m3u with other devices on the network no request is logged, and same happens when I try to open http://x.x.x.x:XXXX/smartdvb/.

If anyone has any other ideas, I'm open to try them. I'm running windows 10 on my media center with MPC-BE and VLC. Other windows devices are running also windows 10 with MPC-BE. Android devices are running MX Player and one is running VLC which immediately says the path can't be opened. I'm running the latest x86 version of SmartDVB but the issue happens in previous versions too.

Thanks
slavprad

Re: Trouble with streaming to other devices.

Postby SmartDVB » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:29 pm

do you have both the HTTP Streaming checkbox ('settings > HTTP Streaming') and the 'Enable HTTP Server mode' checkbox ('settings > Client/Server') enabled. For the 'http://x.x.x.x:XXXX/server?command=main.m3u' commands to work HTTP Server mode needs to be enabled for sure. This is a bit of legacy, only enabling the HTTP streaming option allows a smartdvb instance configured as client (instead of server) to connect.

Also, you might also want to enable the 'Automatically register all found local interfaces' option, restart the app with administrative privileges and see if you see registration messages, this only needs to be done once to register interfaces.

If it still does not work i'll have to check if something might be broken there.
SmartDVB
Site Admin

Postby slavprad » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:16 pm

SmartDVB wrote:do you have both the HTTP Streaming checkbox ('settings > HTTP Streaming') and the 'Enable HTTP Server mode' checkbox ('settings > Client/Server') enabled. For the 'http://x.x.x.x:XXXX/server?command=main.m3u' commands to work HTTP Server mode needs to be enabled for sure. This is a bit of legacy, only enabling the HTTP streaming option allows a smartdvb instance configured as client (instead of server) to connect.

Also, you might also want to enable the 'Automatically register all found local interfaces' option, restart the app with administrative privileges and see if you see registration messages, this only needs to be done once to register interfaces.

If it still does not work i'll have to check if something might be broken there.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

These are the options I've enabled after reading a couple of threads in the forum.

I always run the app with admin privileges, since the first time I ran it.

Also, I'm going to try to run SmartDVB as a client in one of the computers in my network to see if it streams in the weekend, however, if that works, it'll only solve the issue for the computers and not the android devices.
slavprad

Postby SmartDVB » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:48 pm

just tried a local test with host 127.0.0.1(use any port you like) using the HTTP streaming settings from your images (including send entire PAT)
If i start a VLC instance on the same machine and open a media network stream like: http://127.0.0.1:7575/server?command=main.m3u, I'm able to see the channels with the VLC playlist and switch channels. So you might try this first to see if it works at all and go from there.
SmartDVB
Site Admin

Postby slavprad » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:35 pm

SmartDVB wrote:just tried a local test with host 127.0.0.1(use any port you like) using the HTTP streaming settings from your images (including send entire PAT)
If i start a VLC instance on the same machine and open a media network stream like: http://127.0.0.1:7575/server?command=main.m3u, I'm able to see the channels with the VLC playlist and switch channels. So you might try this first to see if it works at all and go from there.

Hi, thanks for the reply.

On the same machine (media center) I can stream channels and see the channel list with VLC and MPC-BE. I can change them etc. It shows a message on SmartDVB saying that server was successfully connected or enabled or something. And the request from VLC and MPC-BE shows up on the smartdvb.log file.

The issue arises when I try to open them on different devices on the network either through ethernet or wifi.

Every app, either be it on windows or android, tries to open the link but eventually says it can't open the location. VLC doesn't even try, immediately shows a message saying that it can't open the address. No messages on SmartDVB app and no requests on smartdvb.log.

Last night I even threw the complete unique channel info for the TS stream (as presented inside the generated m3u) in the address, with the pids and the sids an etc. Still the same error messages.

Thanks
slavprad

Postby slavprad » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:34 am

Hi,

Just to inform you I pinpointed the problem. My firewall... Even though my exceptions are created, for some reason I'm yet to understand, the firewall is still blocking SmartDVB!

Gonna try and fix this.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

P.S.: I only had to allow the port I use as an entry rule in the Windows Firewall.
slavprad

Postby SmartDVB » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:28 pm

Just to inform you I pinpointed the problem. My firewall... Even though my exceptions are created, for some reason I'm yet to understand, the firewall is still blocking SmartDVB!

glad you got it sorted out
SmartDVB
Site Admin

Postby bogeyman » Sun Mar 22, 2020 11:18 pm

can I do this on local server?
bogeyman

Postby SmartDVB » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:29 pm

can I do this on local server?

Yes the discussion is about a local LAN usage mostly so should work just fine
SmartDVB
Site Admin

Return to Support