EPG is empty on startup, little epg data is loaded after

Here you can report any bugs/problems you encounter

EPG is empty on startup, little epg data is loaded after

Postby mzso » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:05 pm

Hi!

So the EPG is empty if I start up SDVB after a day of inactivity. After a few minutes the data appears in mini EPG in the channel list.

But when I look at the full data via ctrl+e I see that only for frequencies that I switched to does epg data appear for more than a few hours.

But even so, it doesn't explain all channels being empty if I don't use SDVB for a day or two.
Filters: all LAV
Renderer: madVR.
mzso

Re: EPG is empty on startup, little epg data is loaded after

Postby mzso » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:11 pm

Oh, yeah...
While testing for this I started getting an error message I never did before, when I tried scrolling with the arrow keys. I could successfully scroll with the on screen buttons:
Attachments
epg-error-sdvb.png
epg-error-sdvb.png (1.27 KiB) Viewed 3013 times
mzso

Postby SmartDVB » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:18 pm

tx for this should be ok..
SmartDVB
Site Admin

Postby mzso » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:42 pm

SmartDVB wrote:tx for this should be ok..

You mean the error message?

Because somehow the EPG itself got worse.
Now EPG data not only doesn't appear for a long time, stuff sometimes even disappears from the mini EPG even when it was filled a minute ago. Also from the main EPG screen (ctrl+e) It's such a mess.

Also the lack of a manual refresh option for all EPG data, which might come in handy in cases like this is unfortunate.
mzso

Postby SmartDVB » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:53 pm

You mean the error message?

yes meant the error message, i actually also had this sometimes under certain epg redraw conditions.

Because somehow the EPG itself got worse.
Now EPG data not only doesn't appear for a long time, stuff sometimes even disappears from the mini EPG even when it was filled a minute ago. Also from the main EPG screen (ctrl+e) It's such a mess.

Sounds odd and unrelated to the error message, sounds like you might have some SQLite EIT db corruption. Did you try the epg defragment option? This should optimize the db again with regards to deleted records etc (sqlite by default flags deleted records for reuse so some fragmentation occurs there, but from your description i don't think this would solve your issues). Could also be some other EPG bug/issue not sure (if possible send me your smarteit.db/smartdvb.db, i could check it for oddities). As a last resort you can just move or delete smarteit.db which holds all EIT data, it should just start repopulating again after app restart.

best regards
SmartDVB
Site Admin

Postby mzso » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:16 pm

SmartDVB wrote:yes meant the error message,

I never claimed it was. The error message was just happened when I was testing EPG, so I mentioned it. The main issue is the Missing data.

SmartDVB wrote:Could also be some other EPG bug/issue not sure (if possible send me your smarteit.db/smartdvb.db, i could check it for oddities).

Here are the files that I had backed up: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1wf5oK ... _x4Rc5opZr

SmartDVB wrote:As a last resort you can just move or delete smarteit.db which holds all EIT data, it should just start repopulating again after app restart.

I did that yesterday. Yet today I was greeted with an empty epg and now after several minutes of the app running I'm still seeing gaps.

SmartDVB wrote:Could also be some other EPG bug/issue not sure

My feeling is that SDVB has some EPG bugs. Which got worse recently. The missing EPG data at startup long standing, but now I see EPG data disappearing reappearing in the mini EPG.
mzso

Postby mzso » Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:24 pm

Can I record the EPG stream or something for troubleshooting purposes?
mzso

Postby mzso » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:34 pm

Hi!

People are claiming there's an issue with the service providers EPG info. Specifically that some short term EPG information is missing. (I don't know how it works but it's claimed that there's a short term EPG and long term EPG, of which the former is missing.) So this might cause issues with SmartDVB. I guess this is unexpected by the program that's why stuff keeps appearing and disappearing.

I recorded a data (besides video and audio) with the Transport Stream Analyzer just in case:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1R0m4M ... 0BYQoEVzt2

So, if what I heard is true (that there's a separate short and a long term EPG. And long term data is only avaible to the current mux) then it's clear what the issue that I experienced with smartDVB. Either it doesn't save (or fails to show) long term data, or they never get polled because I don't change to these muxes.
I don't remember if all channels are missing EPG data on startup, or only part of the channels. And I can't test right now because of the mentioned provider EPG issue.

So I think (if there's no issue with saving showing long term EPG) smartDVB should poll all muxes whenever it can: On shutdown perhaps?. Also a manual EPG refresh is really a lacking feature, which could save all EPG data available.
mzso

Postby mzso » Tue Feb 26, 2019 5:19 pm

So in summary:
  • SmartDVB doesn't load long term EPG for all muxes and store them, which would be nice if it did. So I get a lot of channels without data on startup. And makes searching EPG less useful than it could be. So I think some mechanism for SDVB to do so would be notable gain. At very least some sort of manual "load all EPG" data would be nice.
  • SDVB gets confused when short-term EPG data is missing. I saw data appearing and disappearing. It could handle it more gracefully and show whatever information is available reliably.
mzso

Postby SmartDVB » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:31 pm

So, if what I heard is true (that there's a separate short and a long term EPG. And long term data is only available to the current mux) then it's clear what the issue that I experienced with smartDVB. Either it doesn't save (or fails to show) long term data, or they never get polled because I don't change to these muxes.

these things depend totally on providers, there's no standard there and your DVB-C provider might have it's own protocol there concerning their EPG or boxes they expect or use, some send all EPG on multiple muxes, others use a different mux for the entire EPG. On satellite this varies tremendously also. Some kind of 'idle' time background EPG processing has been requested in the past, but was outside of the scope of the app at that time. At least some kind of epg loop list via ini or whatever is needed and some scheduling perhaps with regards to when one would want such executed (perhaps various options would be possible, like, 'run when app idle for more as ## minutes' (so when app is doing nothing, no recording, viewing etc), or just schedule at a certain moment each day or week etc).

The strange gaps you're seeing in the blue EPG (while the previous or following EPG item obviously is there) might be a different issue, EPG drawing related, and hopefully solved for some next update.
SmartDVB
Site Admin

Postby mzso » Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:11 pm

Don't forget about the EPG data appearing/disappearing for channels when the short term EPG was missing. (That's when I recorded that stream with the analyzer, if it's of any use.)
mzso

Postby mzso » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:57 pm

SmartDVB wrote:At least some kind of epg loop list via ini or whatever is needed and some scheduling perhaps with regards to when one would want such executed (perhaps various options would be possible, like, 'run when app idle for more as ## minutes' (so when app is doing nothing, no recording, viewing etc), or just schedule at a certain moment each day or week etc).

Don't you think my refresh when closing app idea is workable? One (almost) certainly doesn't want to use the app when one closes it. (Though system shutdown needs to be considered)
I also like the daily/weekly schedule.

Though I think whatever it is it needs to be interruptible if the user suddenly decides to use the app when the EPG is updated.
mzso

Return to Bug Reports