SmartDVB-0.5.3.26 triggers WS.reputation.1 in Norton

Here you can report any bugs/problems you encounter

SmartDVB-0.5.3.26 triggers WS.reputation.1 in Norton

Postby joligeknar » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:05 pm

Hi,

I have a few problems with the software

I downloaded the SmartDVBx86-0.5.3.26 portable version. My reason for taking this portable beta version is because there is no information about what a standard versions installs. I don't want the installation to mess around with codecs and associations on my system without telling or asking me. This is not bug but something I want to mention. Maybe you could make an page with information about the installation process.
After unblocking the SmartDVB Help file I see that I shouldn't have been too worried about that, but it would be nice if you could read the help file before installing the software. On a portable version you can just read it but if you downloaded the setup you can not before installing.

When I unzipped the archive Norton immediately removed some files with the reaseon being WS.Reputation.1. I guess they have to whitelisted. It's about the following files:
bda.dev
blindscan.dev
null.dev
SmartAVSrc.ax
SmartDVB.exe
VideoRenderers.dll
joligeknar

Re: SmartDVB-0.5.3.26 triggers WS.reputation.1 in Norton

Postby SmartDVB » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:17 am

When I unzipped the archive Norton immediately removed some files with the reaseon being WS.Reputation.1. I guess they have to whitelisted. It's about the following files:
bda.dev
blindscan.dev
null.dev
SmartAVSrc.ax
SmartDVB.exe
VideoRenderers.dll

All these files should just be clean compiles, so if norton complains about such i suppose it should complain about lots of other visual studio built apps. You can run the archive through a site like virustotal.com to crosscheck a suspicious file with other antivirus software (with smartdvb.exe this just comes out clean there, but i don't see Norton included in the list of antivirus software they use to check files, is it a new recent version of that Norton software?). Perhaps your archive is contaminated somehow (where did you download it?). Can you send me the portable archive you used (if you still have it) just to make sure?
SmartDVB
Site Admin

Postby joligeknar » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:58 pm

Hi,

I am very sorry for such a late reply. I have been busy for weeks.
I downloaded the file straight from your download page (or actually thus mega.nz). I still have it, so I could send it if you still find it worth researhing. I actually restored the files out of the quarantine since I found it plausible that the files were just new and nothing more.
joligeknar

Postby SmartDVB » Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:57 pm

Good day,

I downloaded the file straight from your download page (or actually thus mega.nz). I still have it, so I could send it if you still find it worth researhing. I actually restored the files out of the quarantine since I found it plausible that the files were just new and nothing more.

Thanks, but no need to send, i'm also satisfied that WS.reputation.1 is some algorithm using the 'clouds' knowledge. So if they scan these sites for messages like this for example and some new files get flagged, without any other human verfication, this is actually somehwat worrysome. Makes me think if i'd better not remove messages like this. These algorithms are known to for example promote the same prejudices that exist in the information 'cloud' itself of course, AI is nothing special in that sense, if you input it biased information the output will be biased also (beit on purpose or by accident).
SmartDVB
Site Admin

Return to Bug Reports