a new checks for optimal channels list

Here you can talk about features you would like to see in future releases

a new checks for optimal channels list

Postby jcgeny » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:52 am

first thing i have to say : smartdvb is the best dvb-t player i ever seen... [ except good old multidec that was able to decrypt scrambled channels with a bt848 , that was analog era..]
before it i was using pouchintv and later progdvb [ in the registered version ] . .. i switch to smartdvb because the two others are having bugs and crash...

here i have a suggestion that looks like the : " Remove Dead Stations " option .

i show where i live and the antennas that covers my area , according to the official emitter

http://s13.postimg.org/oig1nscmv/tnt_hd_antennas.jpg
you can see five antennas and my tv in the middle...
as a result , all tv players find a lot of channels , mostly many times the same....

http://s13.postimg.org/z6jsmmmlz/tnt_hd ... artdvb.jpg
http://s13.postimg.org/49so22dbr/tnt_hd ... rogdvb.jpg
so as a result , some days and according to the weather , some channels are better than the others ..
what i ask is an option menu that quickly tests the tvs ' multiplexes and selects the best one so i only have one channel but with the best quality .
the difference with " Remove Dead Stations " option , is that the list of channels keep intact , it is the pool channels list
. removing some channels means redoing a full scan later while it will get the same results as before ... according to the weather of course : rain , wind or sun are having a big impact on waves..

thanks in advance ..
Last edited by jcgeny on Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jcgeny

Re: a new checks for optimal channels list

Postby SmartDVB » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:31 pm

Hi

Thanks for reporting this. Just to be clear about the issue, those various same channels you have, do they differ in frequency or bandwith? If so some seperate temporary hide option might be possible. Something you could try now perhaps. Just create a seperate, temporary, favorite or custom category. Just remove all channels from such a category, and add the temp channels from the main list, which have a better signal, to that favorite or custom category

Br
jj
SmartDVB
Site Admin

Postby jcgeny » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:14 pm

they all have a different frequency , most of the time i get signals from 4 out the 5 antennas [ Orange being too far ]
like i wrote , the signal vary a lot according to the weather... so if i remove channels when sun is shinning , i see nothing when it rains or if the wind comes from north...
i mean i am at the far away limit of all these emitters ..so that would be cool if i could create pools of multiplexes .
for each same group of channels , that may be i can edit with add/remove a frequency , when i launch the test : smartdvb tunes all frequencies of the pool list and look for quality and strength levels . it compares values plus set the frequency for channel tv

i edited first posts to show images links...
jcgeny

Postby SmartDVB » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:42 pm

What you describe isn't possible, sounds quite specific also. Perhaps you could create some specific frequency ini by editing settings/allsats.txt and add a seperate ini for each pool, which would show up in the freq/sat list. You could then select each added pool list (ini) and scan it, update the channels. Channels from frequencies with no signal would be lost and only channels with signal would remain you'd have to select the best one or temorarily delete the ones you don't want during this session, and do the same each new session.
SmartDVB
Site Admin

Postby sickboy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:17 pm

There is no way to sort channels by Signal Strength ?
sickboy

Postby SmartDVB » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:48 pm

@sickboy no there's not, this isn't stored on a per channel basis. You know of other apps which do? Of course everything is possible, by adding a quality/level to channels and storing it when scanned and some sort on that (or even updating per tune, but i don't like increasing tune speed too much, as it's the apps strongpoint). Wouldn't sorting by signal in the scanner perhaps be sufficient for most needs? You think channel sorting by signal, might be something lots of people would be interested in? Still wouldnt make what's requested here any quicker i think.

Br
jj
SmartDVB
Site Admin

Postby sickboy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:08 am

SmartDVB wrote:You think channel sorting by signal, might be something lots of people would be interested in?

No, I think the OP is in an unfortunate position.

If you have the user group these channels somehow then set a switch "Prioritize by Signal Strength" perhaps at start up you could do as he's interested in. Only you would know if it's worth the time/effort/befefit. At least in that way speed would only be impacted by those using the switch.
sickboy

Postby jcgeny » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:48 am

i do not mind so much about time needed by channels evaluation , so i try to present it like math exercise :

6 multiplexes that have 5 channels

only 5 multiplexes are interresting me and not all tv channels > create a list and an order of channels .

there are 40 frequencies available for multiplexes , 6 used per Emitter : in my case i get 4 of them so there are 24 frequencies to check minus 4 , mostly for the power and quality than the content that is already known from the first scan of the 40 frequencies . so it takes half the time of the full scan ,or less and i have 25 channels , not 125 with 100 of bad qualities ... real big win for me ["8

with tv card having a dual tunner or better , the reordering can be unseen by the user : while he watches the channel list of previous use of smartdvb , the second tunner can release the tests , change frequencies , that will used when user will change of tv multiplex
jcgeny

Postby sickboy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:50 am

He's not interested in YOU waiting longer but making EVERYONE wait longer - which is why I suggested a switch for those who need it, like yourself.

Maybe I'm not understanding you but it seems much too complex a solution.

If you have five duplicates at five different frequencies you group them together in Group "A" Then say four more to group together for a Group "B". During startup the scanner could scan the groups one at a time, keep the highest value per group and hide the rest from the channel list.

Or you could put up a larger antenna :D
sickboy

Postby jcgeny » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:10 am

France is not usa...its more sovietized ...
so we have 25 free-tv-channels , that are for the all country

they are broadcasted with 5 multiplexes .. each emitter uses different channels for them..
if i use a bigger antenna...i will get more emitters and so more channels ...

my idea is more like
"If you have five duplicates at five different frequencies you group them together in Group "A" Then say four more to group together for a Group "B". During startup the scanner could scan the groups one at a time, keep the highest value per group and hide the rest from the channel list. "

is that possible already ?
jcgeny

Postby sickboy » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:01 pm

I think you can hide channels but at the moment you would need to manually go through them yourself to assess which are strongest/weakest to know which to hide.
sickboy

Postby jcgeny » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:39 pm

like i said ...removing some is not the right way
that has to be done by a thread or at least a code...

i think some , have problems to understand weather [ think of gwbush , obamiam-miam or trump ] but receiving a good tv signal depends on IT... of course that is not in the books...

i hope the dev will try to find a solution looking like viewtopic.php?f=9&t=504
where Risky73 made a tool because he gets tv from 2-3 antennas ...[ see 2x tf1 + 3x tf1[hd] ]
jcgeny

Return to Suggestions