Installation in a folder other than default "Program Files"

Here you can talk about features you would like to see in future releases

Installation in a folder other than default "Program Files"

Postby fundom » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:53 am

Although installer offers a choice with regard to destination folder (in my case that extends to other HDD than the usual system HDD "C"), but the entire working data & configurations are stored on system HDD "C". Is it possible to retain this data within the root directory of application.....no matter where it is installed?
fundom

Re: Installation in a folder other than default "Program Files"

Postby Risky73 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:14 pm

During installation there is dialog window in which you must select "Install data files at application install folder (usually 'program files')".
It should work because I run SmartDVB in portable form (same folder on different PC's).
Risky73

Postby fundom » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:58 pm

Thanks dear. That's what I wanted.
fundom

Postby SmartDVB » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:02 pm

like risky mentions this is possible ofcourse with such install option. Remember that when installing at the 'program files' folder with w7+ you could need admin privileges to create databases, logs, write settings etc etc at such folders (which is not allowed for normal non admin users) so make sure that when doing so you run the application elevated (with admin privileges) to prevent file/folder access problems/app exceptions..
SmartDVB
Site Admin

Postby SmartDVB » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:04 pm

also if you have previous smartdvb installation with the data at the local application data folder you might need to remove settings.ini from there (otherwise sdvb tries to use the data there if found, also see the 0.3.5 help file where this should be explained). So it's totally possible to use smartdvb somewhat portable (just don't forget to register the filters etc when moving to some other system),
SmartDVB
Site Admin

Postby Risky73 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:08 pm

Simplified for portable use:
- copy folder to other PC (or carry it on usb like I do)
- run [SmartDVB folder]/filters/registerfilters.bat (just first time SmartDVB is used on that PC)

I don't know about permissions because I "killed" those on my machine (they're annoying and don't help agains NSA ;) ), but i think they're not required on non system partition...
Risky73

Postby YagiBear » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:14 pm

I remember running into this problem when I used the option to save DBs into program files on my Win7 PC.
I'm not familiar with the windows security model, but it if only safeguards against file creation, why not create empty/default DBs, log files, etc. at installation time to work around it?
SmartDVB v0.5.1.38 / Windows 10 Pro version 1803
Intel i5 3470 / 8G DDR3 / GeForce GTX660 / Mini USB DVB-T IT9135 BDA Filter (bda.dev)
Israel.Central (6 TV/12 Radio), H.264 & AAC/LATM ; MS DTV-DVD (EVR & default DirectSound) / DirectX 12
YagiBear

Postby SmartDVB » Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:39 pm

it's not just some create restriction, write access would usually be denied for normal users (unless you go risky73's route or such). Hence the rather cumbersome appdata option (previously quite some users complained about not being able to run sdvb without administrative rights, some people would even find such inability suspicious).
SmartDVB
Site Admin

Return to Suggestions