Better Time shift

Here you can talk about features you would like to see in future releases

Better Time shift

Postby YagiBear » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:41 pm

Here are some ideas/suggestions from my limited experience using SmartDVB (love it, by the way) for how Time Shift could be improved.

I often watch some some show on a channel and it overlaps something else I'd like to watch on another channel, or that I switch to some other channel a bit too late and miss the beginning of a show.
I'm suggesting a feature that will allow one to select some channels to always Time Shift. Those channels' stream will be always recorded and you could switch to/from them without missing anything - depending on the size of the Time Shift file size, of course.

Alternatively, when I watch two shows at the same time using PIP (two news shows, for example) and watch some item on the main window and when that's done want to use the Swap PIP with main to watch an item on the other channel - The Time Shift buffer is reset/lost. So I'm forced to fiddle with the layout - increase the PIP window's size, and when that item is done reduce it's size
Please make the Time Shift buffer persist when swapping with main or showing at main.

I hope that makes sense.
SmartDVB v0.5.1.38 / Windows 10 Pro version 1803
Intel i5 3470 / 8G DDR3 / GeForce GTX660 / Mini USB DVB-T IT9135 BDA Filter (bda.dev)
Israel.Central (6 TV/12 Radio), H.264 & AAC/LATM ; MS DTV-DVD (EVR & default DirectSound) / DirectX 12
YagiBear

Re: Better Time shift

Postby SmartDVB » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:07 pm

tx for the suggestion as always feedback's much appreciated..
1) whilst technically feasible, certainly not trivial. This would also not be possible in a generic form but only on a per frequency basis (ofcourse since you only get the PID data for the station at the currently tuned mux). Since you use dvb-t this might not be an issue for you, but for satellite with numerous frequencies that's a different matter. Possible but only on a per mux basis thus, if the data ain't there there's nothing to record/timeshift.
2) might also be possible with some tweaking, but not very trivial either. But I do get the need for this. More general speaking, every time a station is reloaded the previous timeshift is lost, this might also be looked at to not due this in situations where it's not absolutely necessary (reload on video freeze actually doesn't do this)
SmartDVB
Site Admin

Return to Suggestions