pre beta test build 0.4.5 Norton Anti Virus smartexec.exe

This is the place where beta releases of the application or modules are made available. Only download if you're willing to cooperate in resolving any problems

pre beta test build 0.4.5 Norton Anti Virus smartexec.exe

Postby Viewfinder » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:18 pm

For info, I noticed recently that my scheduled recordings have been failing. Have finally noticed why it is. Norton Anti Virus is not liking smartexec.exe and deleting the file from my install folders.

Even before I knew smartexec.exe file had gone, I was still adding schedules to SmartDVB and the GUI still lets you add scheduled recordings - a false sense of security... Once the scheduled start time arrives, the task disappears and the recording never starts without smartexec.exe.

Apart from adding smartexe.exe as an exception, I'm not sure how you would make Norton trust the file, perhaps a signature or otherwise but I thought I should raise it for info. I wonder why it's only recently started deleting it, perhaps a new Anti Virus definition / rules but hopefully once it has passed beta, Smartexec.exe will be cleared by Norton....

I'll probably try it for now, but I was thinking of putting the 0.4.0 smartexec.exe back into the 0..4.5 beta folder just as a temp fix...

Norton Log:

Filename: smartexec.exe
Full Path: x:\smartdvb0450b\smartexec.exe

Developers 
Not Available

Version 

Identified 
11/01/2016 at 18:30:12

Last Used 
Not Available

Startup Item 
No

Few Users
Fewer than 50 users in the Norton Community have used this file.

Mature
This file was released 2 months ago.

Bad
There are many indications that this file is untrustworthy.

File Thumbprint - SHA:
50eee2f5fb8edbe2e7b69365a784ecfad2eb0deb8a1a0c4e1d7a7a496fafbea1
File Thumbprint - MD5:
Not available
Viewfinder

Re: pre beta test build 0.4.5 Norton Anti Virus smartexec.exe

Postby Viewfinder » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:27 pm

OK, just to update on the test - using smartexec.exe from 0.4.0 in the 0.4.5 folder does fix the scheduler and lets the jobs start fine now. Norton doesn't detect or delete the old version... I guess this temporarily means that the scheduler fixes contained in 0.4.5b are lost by rolling back to the old smartexec,exe?
Viewfinder

Postby SmartDVB » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:00 pm

hi this is quite odd indeed. I recently made some basic changes to smartexec.exe, it's quite a small source btw (just a couple of lines), so i really wonder what triggers norton here, i might even send them the source code so they can figure their own mess out (or make it public here, there have been rants in the previous years about false positives with some versions of smartdvb, which is a bad thing people tend to react even to false information, and since it's not the first time i really think they should take care about these things and false positives, since this can give some software a bad rep without anything to back this up (if sdvb had not been free i would have thought about asking norton for some money due to lost revenues. SDVB has never had backdoors or anything the like, it's been used for more than 9 years by now so i guess a track record must also count for something..
SmartDVB
Site Admin

Postby Viewfinder » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:44 am

Norton tend to have a catch-all category based on reputation, so if a file is not "mature" because its only a few days old, it always tends to flag it up and quarantine it.
The first smartexec.exe from 0.4.0 was OK and totally ignored by Norton, but the 0.4.5 it said was only a few days...

Norton also appears to collect download stats on a particular file so if many people have downloaded it, it has a higher confidence than a beta file that no many (Norton) users have tried or that others are using other anti virus software so not boosting Norton file maturity stats.

I'm sure the longer smartexec.exe 0.4.5 has be out, Norton will eventually ignore it. I have a feeling that if I copy it back in a few months time, it will be fine.
Viewfinder

Return to Beta Testing